NGA is the only national trade association dedicated solely to the needs of independent, community-focused grocery retailers and operators. NGA’s over 1,400 retailer members are independent supermarket operators, defined as privately-held or family owned, and the wholesalers and cooperatives that support them. The true entrepreneurs of the industry, independent grocers operate supermarkets of all formats and sizes that meet a wide variety of consumer needs and demands. Nationally, the independent supermarket channel includes nearly 21,000 of the 36,000 U.S. supermarkets and generates $131 billion in annual sales, representing nearly 25% of the total domestic market.
Who is Eligible for a Wholesaler Membership?
Wholesaler members are companies primarily engaged in wholesale distribution, in the retail distribution of food and food related products including retailer-owned cooperatives and voluntary wholesale distributors of food and related products.
- NGA can assist members in scheduling a tour in your facility with your Members of Congress.
- NGA provides members with an each, turn-key platform to communicate with your federal Representatives through the NGA Take Action portal.
- By authorizing the NGA Grocers PAC, members can help support candidates for federal office who support policies critical to the independent supermarket industry.
- Members can participate in the Day in Washington Annual Supermarket industry Fly-In event and make your voice heard.
- Free legal counsel on employment & labor issues.
- Your organization can invest in the next generation of leaders by nominating employees to attend the Executive Leadership Development Program (ELDP) hosted by Cornell University's food Industry Management Program.
- Members have access to the NGA Online Training and Education Center where your employees can earn college credits by completing over 120 industry specific online courses, available in multiple languages.
- Members can learn about the latest ecommerce technology or get updated on the most recent labor law regulations, all from the comfort of your own home or office! Webinars are offered Wednesdays at 2:00 pm ET.
- NGA offers The Retail Management Certificate, an accredited business program that gives associates the necessary skills to get started or advance their career in the grocery industry.
- The NGA Show offers more than 60 specialized educational workshops and sessions and over 350 companies on the EXPO floor showcasing innovative and game-changing products and solutions.
- The Fall Meetings event represents a key opportunity to connect independent retailers and wholesalers with manufacturers and service suppliers through pro-arranged senior level meetings designed to discuss mutual business opportunities.
- Complimentary e-newsletters such as Express Lane, Government Relations updates, Food Recalls and Counterfeit Coupon Alerts.
- Access to research reports and benchmarking studies.
- Participate in the National Best Bagger Competition that brings together baggers from across the nation to compete for a grand prize of $10,000 and the title of NGA Best Bagger Champion.
- The Creative Choice Awards honor and recognize the best marketing and merchandising programs in the grocery industry. Winners of the Creative Choice Awards Contest gain respect throughout the industry and receive national recognition at The NGA Show.
- A number of student scholarships are available through the NGA Foundation to help independent grocers attract and retain top talent.
- Join the Women Grocers Association (WGA) and support the organization's mission to promote the recruitment, growth and development of female professionals within the grocery industry.