Headquartered in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, Piggly Wiggly Midwest has been a regional institution since 1911. Founded as the Schultz Brothers Co. by brothers Herman, Arthur and Oscar Schultz, the company was a wholesale dealer dedicated to serving independent grocers.
In 1949, the brothers began operating Piggly Wiggly corporate retail stores, according to Mark McGowan, SVP of retail for C&S Wholesale Grocers LLC.
By 1962, the company’s name had been changed to Schultz Sav-O Stores Inc., following Schultz Brothers Co.’s purchase of Sav-O Corp., which was a trading stamp company. Schultz Sav-o Stores went public that same year. It operated as a corporate entity for Piggly Wiggly for 20 years, McGowan explained.
Click here to learn more from The Shelby Report.