NGA is the only national trade association dedicated solely to the needs of independent, community-focused grocery retailers and operators. NGA’s over 1,700 retailer members are independent supermarket operators, defined as privately-held or family owned, and the wholesalers and cooperatives that support them. Whether you are a single-store retailer or operate a multi-store chain, as a member of NGA you and your employees will receive access to exclusive resources, tools, services, and benefits to help you address shifting demands and marketplace challenges, and ultimately grow your bottom line.
Member Benefits Include:
Government Relations & Advocacy Efforts
- NGA can assist members in scheduling a tour in your facility with your Members of Congress.
- NGA provides members with an easy, turn-key platform to communicate with your federal Representatives through the NGA Take Action portal.
- By authorizing the NGA Grocers PAC, members can help support candidates for federal office who support policies critical to the independent supermarket industry.
- Members can participate in the Day in Washington Annual Supermarket industry Fly-In event and make your voice heard.
- Free legal counsel on employment and labor issues.
Education Initiatives, Research & Conferences
- Your organization can invest in the next generation of leaders by nominating employees to attend the Executive Leadership Development Program (ELDP) hosted by Cornell University's food Industry Management Program.
- Members have access to the NGA Online Training and Education Center where your employees can earn college credits by completing over 150 industry specific online courses, available in multiple languages.
- Members can learn about the latest ecommerce technology or get updated on the most recent labor law regulations, all from the comfort of your own home or office! Webinars are offered Wednesdays at 2:00 pm ET.
- NGA offers The Retail Management Certificate, an accredited business program that gives associates the necessary skills to get started or advance their career in the grocery industry.
- The NGA Show offers more than 60 specialized educational workshops and sessions led by retailers for retailers and over 350 companies on the EXPO floor showcasing innovative and game-changing products and solutions.
- Share Group programs offers like-minded professionals the opportunity to learn and network with one another in a supportive, non-competing environment.
- The Fall Meetings event represents a key opportunity to connect independent retailers and wholesalers with manufacturers and service suppliers through pro-arranged senior level meetings designed to discuss mutual business opportunities.
- Complimentary e-newsletters such as Express Lane, Government Relations updates, Food Recalls and Counterfeit Coupon Alerts.
- Access to research reports and benchmarking studies.
- Participate in the National Best Bagger Competition that brings together baggers from across the nation to compete for a grand prize of $10,000 and the title of NGA Best Bagger Champion.
- The Creative Choice Awards honor and recognize the best marketing and merchandising programs in the grocery industry. Winners of the Creative Choice Awards Contest gain respect throughout the industry and receive national recognition at The NGA Show.
- A number of student scholarships are available through the NGA Foundation to help independent grocers attract and retain top talent.